MILLBURN, N.J. (Stockpickr) -- Beware of dividend traps.
Dividend traps are stocks that entice investors to take an investment position based on cheap valuation and above-average dividend payouts. Unfortunately, what the investor learns is that the value received from the dividend is more than offset by the depreciation in value of the stock price. In other words, total returns to investors are negative.
There are several characteristics that dividend trap companies share. One or more of the following will be evident for dividend trap companies:
- Dividend yields are at least 100 basis points above that of the S&P 500.
- The companies tend to operate in a business or segment that is in secular decline -- that is, these are businesses that find that their products are becoming obsolete or irrelevant in the economy.
- The companies have poor management.
- Second Banana Syndrome: These are just inferior companies within their industry.
- Increasing dividend payouts to help shore up the stock price.
- Their PEG ratios - price to earnings adjusted for growth are negative or extremely large
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV