"We view Credit Suisse as a quality franchise -- taking market share across most of its business lines," Bank of America Merrill Lynch analysts wrote in an April 26 report. "The bank has a reasonable Tier 1 ratio, a tough regulator, and it never needed direct government support. While the share price has suffered recently from negative EPS momentum, at the current valuation we see plenty of room for rerating and maintain a Buy recommendation."
Shares of Credit Suisse hit a 52-week low on Thursday of $19.47. The stock's 52-week high of $43.24 was set on June 1.Credit Suisse trades at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 5.7 times; the average for banks is 10.99. For comparison, UBS AG (UBS) has a higher forward P/E of 7.08. The stock has fallen 16.4% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV