NEW YORK ( MainStreet) - What's happening in small business today?
1. How to get a cash mob into your store. A movement is underway to bring so-called cash mobs to local businesses across the country. Cash mobs are modeled like "flash mobs," but instead of a group of people breaking out into synchronized dance in a train station, they visit a struggling small business and boost sales by agreeing to spend at least $20 at that retailer.
So how can you get your store on the cash mob visitation list?
While most of the details are kept quiet until the day of the event, you will have a better chance of being nominated if your business is visible and a strong part of your community, says The Houston Chronicle's website, Chron.com.You can also gather other local businesses together to let event organizers know you're interested in having a cash mob select your area. Nominate other businesses to get the community used to the idea of a cash mob and perhaps yours will be next, the article says. 2. Sam Adams' Brewing the American Dream is expanding nationally. Jim Koch, founder of Boston Beer Company (SAM), the maker of Sam Adams, is expanding its Brewing the American Dream financing program nationwide to help small businesses in the hospitality and food and beverage industries. The program facilitates microloans and coaching/mentoring and educational resources to business owners who find it difficult to access the capital and guidance needed to sustain and grow their businesses, according to a press release on Tuesday. With the national expansion, Koch is looking to extend more than $1 million in loans. The loans will be funded by Accion, the country's only nationwide micro-lender. Accion provides affordable financing and support to everyday businesses. Brewing the American Dream has already provided more than $1 million in micro-financing to nearly 150 businesses, creating or saving nearly 1,000 jobs, it says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV