NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wall Street finished mixed on Tuesday with the Dow pushed higher by positive earnings reports and a dividend hike from IBM (IBM), and the Nasdaq tripped up by weakness in Apple (AAPL).
The market put aside worries about Europe for the day, instead focusing on solid numbers from AT&T (T) and 3M (MMM), as well as Big Blue's plans to boost its quarterly payout by 13% and buy back up to $7 billion worth of its stock.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 74 points, or 0.6%, to close at 13,001. Earlier in the session, the price-weighted index ran as high as 13,050. The S&P 500 tacked on 5 points or 0.4% to finish at 1372.
The Nasdaq slipped 8 points, or 0.3%, to settle at 2961. Apple was a headwind for the index, falling 2%. Shares of the iPad and iPhone maker have now fallen in 10 of the past 11 sessions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV