NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks sold off on Monday as questions about Europe's economic and political stability rattled Wall Street.
The headlines from across the pond were ugly with a purchasing managers index for the eurozone region falling to a five-month low, French President Nicolas Sarkozy seen as lagging in the country's presidential elections, and Dutch Prime Mark Rutte and his cabinet offering to resign over failed austerity talks.
Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) was a major drag on the Dow Jones Industrial Average, falling nearly 5%, as the world's largest retailer dealt with revelations that it engaged in the bribery of Mexican officials.
The Dow dropped 102 points, or 0.8%, to close at 12,927, after making an intra-day low of 12,845. The S&P 500 fell nearly 12 points, or 0.8%, to finish at 1367. The Nasdaq ended in the negative territory for the fourth-straight day, shedding 30 points, or 1%, to close at 2970.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV