CHARLOTTE, N.C. ( TheStreet) -- Shares in US Airways (LCC) rose 16% Thursday after TheStreet reported that the carrier has been successfully gathering union support for its bid for bankrupt AMR (AMMRQ.PK).
Shares rose steadily after the story was reported shortly after noon, and continued to rise after it was reported by other outlets.
Volume was 31 million, nearly four times the average daily volume over the past four months.
Year-to-date, US Airways shares are up 82%.The carrier has managed to win qualified backing for its takeover bid from four AMR unions, the Transport Workers, the Allied Pilots Association, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants and the Association of Flight Attendants, which represents flight attendants at American Eagle, according to people with knowledge of those discussions. "The unions are working together," said a person familiar with the agreement. "They are open to a merger, not circling the wagons against one." Another person said the APA is part of the group backing the US Airways bid, a point that was not initially clear. In a note issued Thursday, Maxim Group analyst Ray Neidl discussed the story and said: "Our take is that US Airways cannot offer too much
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV