Shares of Arch Coal sunk to a 52-week low Wednesday of $9.70. The stock's 52-week high of $35.06 was set on May 2.
Arch Coal shares currently trade at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 11.54X; the average for coal companies is 22.32X. For comparison, Peabody Energy (BTU) has a lower forward P/E of 6.96X.Analyst comment: "We reinstate U.S. coal producer Arch Coal at Underperform, as our caution over pricing and volumes for its predominantly thermal coal mix outweighs a positive view on its expansion into met coal," Bank of America Merrill Lynch analysts wrote in a report Wednesday. "We forecast lean cash flow to support pay down of high debt, partly due to elevated capex spending plans for met coal projects. Shares trade at multi-year lows and seem to price in little-to-no thermal recovery, and we believe the stock should continue to underperform its peers." Fifteen of the 31 analysts who cover Arch Coal rate it at hold. Eleven analysts give the stock a buy rating and five rate the stock at sell. TheStreet Ratings gives Arch Coal a C grade and hold rating. The stock has fallen 32.05% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV