BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- When you're looking for stocks with explosive upside potential, your first stop should be Wall Street's "hate list."
Of course, I'm talking about digging through the most heavily shorted names on the market. Stocks with massive short interest aren't just good contrarian bets -- they're also prime candidates for a short squeeze, the buying frenzy that erupts when short sellers are forced to buy back shares of a stock at a loss just to exit their trades. That increased demand for shares can cause shares of a "hate list" stock to skyrocket, fueling more buying from other short sellers.
Typically, short sellers tend to target smaller stocks that have obvious mispricing -- but that's not always the case. Sometimes, large-cap names get heavy shorting pressure as well, creating an even more interesting opportunity for investors with a contrarian bent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV