The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I have spent a considerable portion of the last week discussing several media stocks on TheStreet. My article history contains stories that explain why I am bearish Netflix (NFLX) and Sirius XM (SIRI) and bullish Bell Canada (BCE), Rogers Communications (RCI), Time Warner (TWX), Madison Square Garden (MSG) and Pandora (P).
In this article, I outline a portfolio of media stocks that could work for some long-term investors who like to speculate a little and use options frequently, but conservatively as part of a growth-and-income portfolio. These are the same types of strategies we discuss each week with subscribers in my Options Investing Newsletter. As always, use these ideas as a starting point for your own research. Your unique circumstances might warrant a different approach.
Ultimately, I hope to illustrate how to work options into your portfolio at a basic, but worthwhile and productive level. You might use different stocks or methods to achieve similar goals. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. In a portfolio like this, I want to keep a core of about 75% to 80% in dividend-paying growth stocks. In the remaining 20% to 25%, I take things in a progressively speculative direction.
Core (Initial Positions)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV