NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A client recently asked why Apple (AAPL) was not in the portfolio. That presented a good opportunity to explain the role that sector ETFs play in a diversified portfolio, how what is under the hood of any ETF is very important and that the client does indeed own Apple by virtue of its large weighting in the tech sector ETF in his portfolio.
Just about every large ETF provider has a broad tech sector ETF and Apple is the largest holding by far in all of them. In the iShares DJ US Technology Sector Index Fund (IYW) Apple currently has a 22.7% weight. In the Technology Select Sector SPDR (XLK) Apple has a 19.7% weighting and in the Vanguard Information Technology ETF (VGT) it has a 14.5% weight.
The huge weighting in one stock, in this case Apple, is neither bad nor good. It simply reflects the fact that Apple has by far the largest market capitalization. The huge weighting does require having some sort of opinion on Apple; it would make no sense to own any of these ETFs while at the same time believing Apple was destined to go out of business quickly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV