The Dow's Top 5 Laggards in March
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Caterpillar (CAT), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Alcoa (AA), Chevron (CVX) and United Technologies (UTX) were the worst-performing stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Average in March.
The Dow gained 1.79%, or 231.74 points, to 13,212.04 during the month.
Caterpillar shares fell 6.06% to $106.52 in March. The mining and construction equipment company said in an 8-K filing that its sales in North America, Latin America and the Asia/Pacific region increased in February but at a slower pace than they did the previous month.
Caterpillar has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 9.38 times; the average for commercial vehicle and truck companies is 20.58. For comparison, Deere (DE) has a higher forward P/E of 9.49..Nineteen of the 26 analysts who cover Caterpillar rated it buy; seven analysts gave the stock a hold rating. TheStreet Ratings gives Caterpillar an A grade with a buy rating and a $122.45 price target.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV