Garmin Bids for Tele Atlas
Updated from 7:38 a.m. EDT
Navigation devices maker Garmin (GRMN) stunned investors Wednesday with an unsolicited 2.3 billion euro ($3.3 billion) bid for Dutch mapping company Tele Atlas, trumping a three-month old offer from rival TomTom.
News of the hostile bid and the prospects of a bidding war sent shares of Garmin sliding $9.73, or 8%, to $110.75 in recent trading and overshadowed the company's strong third-quarter results.
Garmin said it will offer $35.31 for a share of Tele Atlas, 15% higher than the $30.63 TomTom offered in July and a 48% premium to Tele Atlas' share price before TomTom's bid.Garmin said it expects a counter-bid from its Netherlands-based rival TomTom. Reik Read, an analyst with Robert W. Baird, took a dim view of the bid because of the possibility of a "bidding war as TomTom and Garmin have similar purchasing capability. "And assuming Garmin wins, this is a difficult integration of a software mapping company, which is dissimilar to a hardware company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV