Google to Add Spreadsheets
Google Spreadsheets, as the product is called, will be available on a test basis, according to a representative for the search company who added that the program is in "alpha," which generally means it is a fairly early version and will be available to a limited number of users on a first-come, first-served basis.
Google purchased Writely, a company that offers a Web-based word processor, in addition to a Web-based calendaring application, earlier this year.
None of the programs offers anything like the capabilities of Microsoft's Office, but the programs are free and are seen as the beginning of a trend away from the desktop-based applications dominated by Microsoft for more than a decade.Google's new application is designed for users who create basic spreadsheets that need to be shared or updated by several contributors, the company said. Unlike conventional spreadsheets which store data on the user's computer or on a corporate network, Google Spreadsheets stores data on a Google server accessible via the Internet. Google Spreadsheets will be available to a limited number of users on the Google Labs page at labs.google.com. Shares of Google close the regular session up $1.01 to $375.45; Microsoft shares closed up 4 cents to $22.54.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV