Microsoft Hires Away IAC Executive
Microsoft (MSFT) is hoping the executive who turned around the Ask search engine can aid its own Internet efforts.
The Redmond, Wash. software giant said late Friday it had hired Steve Berkowitz, Ask¿s CEO, to head its online business group, which includes the MSN.com Web site and the Windows Live set of Web services.
Berkowitz is credited with turning around Ask, formerly known as Ask Jeeves. The site became part of Barry Diller¿s IAC/InteractiveCorp (IACI) Internet conglomerate last year.Searches at Ask grew 33% in the fourth quarter of last year, according to one study. That¿s four times as fast as the industry rate and faster than search goliath Google¿s 25% gain. In February, Ask's search growth remained strong, rising 28% from a year ago, vs. Google's 29%. Berkowitz replaces David Cole, who Microsoft said last month would begin a leave of absence beginning in May. Also last month, Microsoft announced a restructuring aimed at better coordinating Windows software with Windows Live and its Web sites. Microsoft shares finished Friday up 12 cents at $27.15. IAC/InteractiveCorp ended the session down 16 cents at $30.07.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV