Pension Bailout for US Airways
The U.S. government's pension insurer said Wednesday it had taken over the pensions of US Airways' (UAIRQ) machinists and flight attendants.
The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. estimates the underfunded pension plans will cost it $2.3 billion. That comes on top of a $726 million claim for US Airways' pilot pension plan, which the PBGC took over in 2003. The airline's $3 billion total claim is the second largest in PBGC history after Bethlehem Steel's $3.7 billion claim in 2003.
"The PBGC will protect the pension benefits of US Airways' workers and retirees," said Bradley Belt, the federal corporation's executive director. "But the pension safety net is badly frayed."
The White House has proposed reforms aimed at helping the PBGC meet its obligations. The federal corporation receives no tax revenue and funds operations largely by insurance premiums that companies with pension plans pay.The PBGC's latest move was expected after the judge overseeing US Airways' Chapter 11 bankruptcy last month authorized the termination of the flight attendants' and machinists' pensions. In December, the PBGC moved to take over responsibility for pilot pensions at UAL's (UALAQ) United Airlines. It expects to be liable for about $1.4 billion of that plan.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV