Merck's Gardasil Cleared by FDA
Updated from 1:59 p.m. EDT
The Food and Drug Administration approved Merck's (MRK) Gardasil, the first vaccine against a virus that causes cervical cancer and genital warts.
The agency gave the product broad approval Thursday, saying that the vaccine is appropriate for treating girls as young as 9 years old and women as old as 26.
The vaccine is approved for two types of human papillomavirus, or HPV, that Merck says accounts for 70% of cervical cancers. The vaccine also prevents two types of HPV that account for 90% of genital warts.FDA approval for a product that many analysts say could eventually produce $1 billion or more in annual sales came three weeks after a group of outside medical experts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV