Friday's ETF Winners & Losers
Oil-related exchange-traded funds were the best performers of Friday's session, as crude prices reversed early losses and pushed above the $61-a-barrel level.
The Telecom HOLDRs (TTH) ETF was higher after phone giant AT&T (T) offered regulators new concessions in a bid to get its merger with regional carrier BellSouth (BLS) approved. The deal is now valued at around $85 billion. The ETF was higher by 25 cents, or 0.7%, to $35.47.
On the flip side, exchange-traded funds tracking gold and mining stocks were among the losers. The Market Vectors Gold Miners (GDX) ETF was losing 1% to $39.76. The SPDR Metals & Mining (XME) ETF was giving back 0.9% to $49.20.Meanwhile, ETFs related to basic materials were also suffering. The Vanguard Materials (VAW) ETF was recently lower by 0.6% to $70.77. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Basic Materials (IYM) ETF was off 0.7% to $59.10. The PowerShares Lux Nanotech (PXN) ETF was also losing ground after holding Arrowhead Research (ARWR) was sliding by nearly 3%. The ETF was falling by 13 cents, or 0.8%, to $17.26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV