NASD Members Vote for NYSE Regulatory Merger
The NASD's plan to merge regulatory functions with the NYSE (NYX) has cleared a crucial hurdle.
The NASD said Sunday that 64% of the 5,058 firms eligible to vote supported changes to the association's bylaws necessary for the merger, which the NASD and the NYSE argue will reduce inefficiency and end duplication of regulatory activities. About 83% of eligible members cast votes during the 33-day election period.
"The securities industry has embraced replacing an outdated regulatory structure with one that better serves firms and investors in a fast-changing marketplace," said Mary L. Schapiro, NASD Chairman and CEO in a statement. "Firms took the lead in shaping the future of self-regulation, and I applaud them for the mandate they gave this consolidation."
The merger plans encountered resistance from some NASD members, who said small firms wouldn't receive adequate representation in a merged regulatory unit.The SEC must approve the NASD bylaw changes. The NASD operates the Nasdaq Stock Market (NDAQ).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV