Microsoft Vows to VoIP
Microsoft (MSFT) will make it easier to make telephone calls over the Internet by adding so-called VoIP technology to its products, the company's CEO said Monday.
"We are going to enter the voice-over IP market in the beginning of next year," Steve Ballmer said at a Microsoft conference in Tokyo, according to a report by the Associated Press.
Ballmer said his company will incorporate VoIP across the company's operating system, desktop applications and server software. He added that it would be unified with email, video and instant messaging. Microsoft has previously released software with VoIP functionality, but the technology was not uniformly available in many of the company's applications.
AP also reported that Ballmer said the company will not wait five years to introduce the version of Windows that will succeed Vista. Vista, the successor to XP, will be released in two stages -- first to large business customers at the end of November, and then to consumers in late January. The long-delayed operating system will reach the market five years after XP."We will never have a five-year gap between releases again," Ballmer said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV