Microsoft's Vista Stays in View
Microsoft (MSFT) shares gained ground on Wednesday after an analyst said the new Vista operating system appears to be on track to meet its launch date.
The software giant's stock recently added 38 cents, or 1.4%, to $27.75, approaching six-month closing highs.
Goldman Sachs analyst Rick Sherlund wrote in a client note that the company "has made rapid progress delivering improvements to Vista's performance, reliability, and compatibility."
He is "more confident" that another version of Vista could ship late this week or next, indicating that the company will release the product to manufacturers in November. The official launch to customers, then, would come in late January."We have moved up the shipping assumptions in our model and also factored in the impact of the soon to be released free upgrade coupons," wrote Sherlund, who has a buy rating on the stock. PC vendors could begin handing out free upgrade coupons to Vista this month, he wrote, which could lessen concerns that Vista's January launch will slow demand for PCs during the holiday rush. Goldman does and seeks to do business with the companies covered in its research reports.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV