TechWeek: Microsoft Searches for Traction
Call it the Xerox (XRX) effect. When your competitor's product is so well known it becomes a verb (as in "please Xerox that article for me"), you know you're in trouble.
Nowhere is that truer than in the world of Web searches. After all, users trolling the vastness of the Web will invariably say "I'm going to Google that" no matter which search engine they actual use. Ever heard someone say "I'm going to MSN that?"
Attempting to knock Google (GOOG) off its throne is the job of Susan Dumais of Microsoft's (MSFT) Research division, who this week presented three papers at a conference on information retrieval at the University of Washington hosted by the Association for Computing Machinery.
"It is astounding that we can find anything at all on the Internet -- it contains 20 billion pages," says Dumais, who carries the title of principal researcher and is one of the dozens of Microsoft researches focused on search technology.It's one thing, she says, to know that a user clicks on a page during a search. But it's much more useful to find out how long he or she lingered and what they did next. Did they print it or save it or simply move on? "It's not just about a little rectangle on the screen," she said in a telephone interview during the conference.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV