Price War Still Punishing AMD
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) shares slumped to fresh 52-week lows on Monday, after the chipmaker warned the Street that it was unlikely to hit its first-quarter sales expectations.
The warning, AMD's second in a row, is the latest sign of stress as AMD and Intel (INTC) continue to wage a fierce price war that has taken a toll on each company's financials and stock price.
Shares of AMD were down 41 cents, or 2.9%, to $13.75 in recent trading Monday.
In a statement Monday morning, AMD warned the Street that it was unlikely to meet its first-quarter revenue estimate of $1.6 billion to $1.7 billion.Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for AMD to report $1.66 billion in sales with a loss of 25 cents a share. CEO Hector Ruiz is slated to provide more details on the miss at a presentation at the Morgan Stanley Technology conference Monday. Of key interest to investors will be how AMD's gross margins are faring in the current quarter, as well as the average selling prices for its various types of microprocessors. Last quarter, AMD reported a $574 million loss on charges from its acquisition of graphics chipmaker ATI. Particularly worrisome to investors was the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV