Hard Times at National Semi
The bad times aren't going away any time soon for National Semiconductor (NSM).
In keeping with its
And the company projected that sales in the current quarter would be down sharply from analysts' expectations, as bookings in its second quarter plunged 16% sequentially.
That pushed the company's shares down 3.5%, or 88 cents, to $23.92 in extended trading.National Semi pointed to the continuing inventory build in its distribution channel, which has caused distributors to hold off on chip purchases in recent months. But National Semi said the slowdown in orders for the current quarter was also driven by lower orders from OEM customers and contract manufacturers, suggesting that a broader malaise may be plaguing its business. National Semi makes analog chips used in cell phones and displays as well as for industrial and automotive markets. The company said sales in the three months ended Nov. 26 totaled $501.4 million, compared with $544 million at this time last year. Net income plunged 20% year over year to $91.4 million, or 27 cents a share. The results were in line with analysts' dampened expectations following National Semi's November preannouncement in which it trimmed its sales and gross margin projections.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV