Yahoo! Said in Facebook Talks
Social-networking site Facebook could soon sell itself to Yahoo! (YHOO) for as much as $1 billion, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
The talks come as Yahoo! struggles to regain momentum in the face of an onslaught mounted by rival Google (GOOG), which has steadily won search advertising market share. Google's gains have called into question the growth strategies at Yahoo!, MSN and Time Warner's (TWX) AOL.
Meanwhile, big media companies are struggling to cash in on the digital media revolution they see unfolding before their eyes. News Corp. (NWS) made what is acknowledged as the market-leading move last year by agreeing to buy social networking site MySpace. It's the apparent success of that venture -- MySpace traffic continues to rise sharply, even as gains elsewhere on the Net slow -- that has made Facebook all the more alluring to Internet and media companies. Viacom Chairman Sumner Redstone pointed to the company's failures in digital media earlier this month when he fired CEO Tom Freston.Still, there are doubters who point out that even the plum properties, such as Facebook and MySpace, have yet to formulate a surefire plan to cash in on all the traffic they draw from younger users without driving those users away.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV