Google Grapples With YouTube
Updated from 12:10 p.m.
Though the video-sharing site is gaining huge numbers of users, advertisers are still leery about associating themselves with YouTube's content, which can be racy, weird or of poor quality. That reluctance may change over time, particularly for companies looking to reach the young, hip audience that's attracted to YouTube, analysts and advertisers say.
"Will YouTube siphon dollars away from Google (GOOG) and Yahoo!?" asks Martin Pyykkonnen, an analyst with Global Crown Capital, who rates both shares as overweight. "I don't see that right now."Analysts expect advertisers to stick with the sites they know, such as the New York Times (NYT) and Disney's (DIS) ESPN. They also will avail themselves of whatever video advertising services Google eventually puts up. Wall Street knows that YouTube will eventually have to sell more advertising without alienating its core audience. There already is speculation among bloggers about whether a big media or Internet company will buy the site, which, like its rival MySpace, has yet to turn a profit. A YouTube spokeswoman didn't comment. In other media interviews, YouTube executives have stressed that they are looking to build their service and aren't focusing on a short-term payout.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV