Motherboard Malaise Trips Tech Stocks
Tech stocks ended Friday's session in retreat, following a bearish analyst note about plunging demand for PC motherboards.
The Philadelphia Stock Exchange Semiconductor Sector Index closed off about 2% to remain in its six-week trading range.
According to news reports, Goldman Sachs analyst Henry King released a note that Taiwanese makers of PC motherboards have seen a sharp drop in demand in October, leading him to slash his monthly shipping estimate.A motherboard is a printed circuit board on which all of a PC's main chips are attached, from the microprocessor to memory chips and power management circuits. A drop in motherboard demand is bad news for the chipmakers whose products sit on the boards, as well as for PC sales in general, since it signals weak end-market demand for computers. Intel, AMD and Micron were all down at least 3% late Friday. Dell and H-P each slipped more than 1%. National Semiconductor (NSM) and International Rectifier (IRF), both of which make components for PCs, slid 4.9% and 2.9%, respectively. The PC market is already under pressure, owing to the delay of Microsoft's (MSFT) new Vista operating system, the high PC saturation of the U.S. market and an increasing array of electronic gadgets fighting for consumers' dollars.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV