Palm Slashes Estimates
Palm (PALM) cut expectations for its second fiscal quarter due to a failure to complete certification for its key Treo 750 smartphone.
Shares of Palm slumped more than 8% to $14.11 in after-hours trading following the announcement.
The handheld device maker said late Monday it now expects revenue of $390 million to $395 million, compared with its earlier guidance of $430 million to $450 million.
The company expects to earn 10 cents to 11 cents a share, compared with previous guidance of 15 cents to 18 cents a share.Excluding items, Palm expects to earn 15 cents to 16 cents a share, down from its prior forecast of 20 cents to 23 cents a share. On that basis, analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting the company to earn 22 cents a share on revenue of $442.6 million. Palm expects to start shipping the Treo 750 for the U.S. market early in the third quarter of fiscal 2007, said Ed Colligan, CEO of Palm. "Our Treo 750v launch in Europe is doing quite well, and we expect international revenue for Q2 FY07 to be strong," he said in a press release. The news is likely to jolt investors who
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV