Wal-Mart October Sales Rise 0.5%
Wal-Mart (WMT) Saturday issued an October sales estimate that could give its fans a fright.
The Bentonville, Ark.-based company said U.S. same-store sales for the four-week period ending Friday rose just 0.5%. A closely watched industry metric, same-store sales measure the year-over-year change at stores that have been open for more than one year.
The October gain falls significantly short of the company's recently lowered forecast. On Monday, Wal-Mart executives said in a conference call that October sales were tracking closer to September's 1.3% rise, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Previously, Wal-Mart had predicted a 2% to 4% gain in October.October's rise is also Wal-Mart's weakest monthly gain since December 2000, the Journal noted. In a brief statement Saturday, Wal-Mart offered no explanation for the lower-than-expected sales. The company plans to issue a full October sales report Thursday, when most major U.S. retailers are expected to announce monthly results. Wal-Mart shares lost $1.02 Friday to close at $50.73.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV