Lennar Knocks Down Optimism
Updated from 10:19 a.m. EDT
Lennar (LEN) posted a big drop in first-quarter numbers and withdrew its earnings goal for the year, saying new orders are being hurt by problems in the subprime lending market.
Shares of the homebuilder recently were down 97 cents, or 2.2%, to $43.57.
The Miami-based company earned $69 million, or 43 cents a share, for the quarter ended Feb. 28, down from $258 million, or $1.58 a share, a year earlier. Sales slid to $2.79 billion from $3.24 billion a year earlier.Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial expected a profit of 43 cents a share and sales of $2.49 billion. While the earnings met expectations, the company's new orders fell sharply, disappointing some analysts. First-quarter net orders fell 27% from a year earlier, much worse than the 2% increase that Bank of America analyst Daniel Oppenheim expected. The large order drop came despite the fact that Lennar is offering aggressive incentives to move homes. Orders were weakest in the Central region, dropping 34% from last year. This region includes Arizona, Colorado and Texas. To put the decline in perspective, over the past year Lennar has been drastically reducing prices on its homes to clear inventory and using the proceeds to pay off debt and strengthen its balance sheet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV