March New-Home Sales Strong
Homebuilders took flight Wednesday after the Commerce Department reported stronger-than-expected March new-home sales.
The new-home sales for the month fell 7% from a year earlier but jumped 14% from February, the Commerce Department said.
Sales of new homes came in at a seasonally adjusted rate of 1.2 million in March, down 7.2% from 1.3 million a year ago. But the rate jumped 14% from February's revised rate of 1.07 million. Economists expected a rate of 1.1 million sales for March.
The median sales price was $224,200, down from $229,300 a year earlier.A total of 555,000 homes were for sale at the end of March, representing 5.5 months of supply at the current sales rate. This number was up from March 2005, when there were 4.2 months of supply, but down from February's 6.3 months of supply. Sales fell in every region of the country compared with a year earlier. Sales dropped 15% in the Northeast, 13% in the West, 9% in the Midwest and 2% in the South. Homebuilders rose on the report, with D.R. Horton (DHI) gaining 3.4%, Toll Brothers (TOL) rising 3.9% and Centex (CTX) advancing 2% in early trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV