DeLay Charged With Conspiracy
Updated from 1:01 p.m. EDT
Rep. Tom DeLay, the House majority leader, was indicted Wednesday by a Texas grand jury on allegations he conspired to misuse campaign donations.
DeLay was forced under House rules to step down from his leadership post while the case progresses. Roy Blunt, the chamber's No. 3 Republican leader, will take over DeLay's duties temporarily.
Two DeLay allies were also charged with diverting corporate donations to Republican candidates for state office, a wire report said. Texas law forbids the use of political donations from corporations for anything but administrative expenses.A political action committee that oversaw the funds has also been charged by the grand jury. DeLay, an 11-term congressman from Texas, has been House majority leader for three years. He strongly denied any wrongdoing in the case and said it is being pursued for political reasons by a Democratic district attorney. "I have done nothing wrong ... I am innocent," DeLay said at a news conference in Washington. His prosecutor is an "unabashed partisan zealot" and the charge is "one of the weakest and most baseless indictments in American history," DeLay said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV