U.S. Home Prices Inch Ahead
U.S. home prices rose in the second quarter, but the pace of growth was down sharply from the prior year, the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight reports.
Average home prices rose 1.17% the quarter but that was vs. a 3.65% gain in 2005's second quarter -- the decline in price growth was the biggest since the federal regulator started keeping track of home prices in 1975.
"These data are a strong indication that the housing market is cooling in a very significant way," OFHEO Director James B. Lockhart said in a statement. "Indeed, the deceleration appears in almost every region of the country."
The data is the latest evidence suggesting the housing boom is over. Sales of new homes dropped by 4.3% in July, the largest decline since February, while the inventory of unsold homes hit a record high. Also, sales of previously owned homes fell 4.1% in July to the lowest level in more than two years. Meanwhile, homebuilders such as Toll Brothers (TOL) have continually reduced their expectations for earnings and sales growth this year.That said, long-term mortgage rates fell for the week ended Aug. 31, the sixth consecutive weekly decline. The average 30-year fixed-rate mortgage was 6.44% as of Aug. 31, according to Freddie Mac.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV