ETFs Get Active
Mutual funds may not have the low management fees, easy-to-use structure and perceived transparency of exchange-traded funds, but they are typically closely monitored by money managers who reallocate their portfolios to give investors the very best returns.
Now ETFs want in on this game, too. ETFs are designed to merely track indices, but new products are appearing that give investors the benefits of active management. Moreover, some industry watchers say that true actively managed ETFs aren't far off in the distance.
"If you look at the more recent crop of ETFs, you'll see funds that are based on indices that are intended to be 'better indices,'" says Tony Baker, managing director of the exchange-traded marketplace at the American Stock Exchange. "They are based on someone's research that indicates that this basket of stocks
These new forms come as the traditional marketplace for ETFs becomes more and more crowded with products focusing on very narrow segments."There are not many more ways to slice and dice
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV