Nvidia Banks on Split-Personality Chip
Hundreds of video gamers eagerly convened in San
Jose, Calif., last November to celebrate the arrival
Since then, it's been Nvidia hitting the road, striving to convince a different group of computer users of the merits of a chip that the company hopes will bring a big boost to its business.
In June, Nvidia will launch a new brand dedicated to selling the G80 -- not as a graphics accelerator for PCs and workstations, but as a chip intended to take on data-crunching computing chores currently handled by microprocessors.
Nvidia calls the concept "GPU computing" and contends that the 128 individual "stream" processors packed into the G80 chip make it ideally suited for such computational heavy lifting.According to CEO Jen-Hsun Huang, the G80 boasts 10 times the floating point computational muscle of today's top-of-the-line PC microprocessor. "We believe GPU computing will usher in an era of the personal supercomputer, and will dramatically accelerate the adoption of new methods from computational chemistry to computational finance to computational genomics," Huang said in a February conference call with financial analysts. The effort is being spearheaded by Andy Keane, who joined Nvidia last year and has worked at microprocessor outfits like Intel
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV