Happy Call for Level 3
Level 3 (LVLT) got a call up to the bigs.
The Broomfield, Colo., phone service wholesaler was one of five telcos chosen by the U.S. General Services Administration to be eligible for some $20 billion in federal IT networking contracts.
Also making the list are phone giants AT&T (T), Verizon (VZ), Qwest (Q) and, this time around, Sprint (S), which was snubbed in an earlier bakeoff for telecom service work. The inclusion of Level 3 in the supplier pool marks a significant sales opportunity for the network operator.
The project, called Networx Enterprise, hopes to "transform the current federal telecommunications system to a modern, secure, worldwide IP and MPLS-based network compliant with Internet Protocol version 6," according to the GSA. In other words, the five contractors will vie for slots on major computer network upgrades within federal agencies.Level 3 shares were down 2 cents to $5.89 in midday trading Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV