AMD Logs Off Low-Cost Computers
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has quietly pulled the plug on the low-cost computers it has sold to developing nations for the past couple of years.
The Sunnyvale, Calif., chipmaker said it ceased manufacturing the money-losing Personal Internet Communicator, or PIC, in the third quarter of 2006. News of the PIC's demise was tucked away in the chipmaker's third-quarter financial report filed with the SEC last week.
The PIC is a low-cost, rugged-looking PC designed for people in developing nations like China, India and Brazil that AMD introduced in 2004. The Internet-ready machines feature an AMD Geode processor, a slimmed-down version of Microsoft (MSFT) Windows operating system, a hard drive, keyboard and mouse, but no monitor.
In a departure from AMD's traditional business model of simply selling chips, the company contracted with Solectron (SLR) to have the systems manufactured, and sold the PICs through partnerships with local telephone, cable or internet service providers in different regions.The PIC is part of AMD's effort to connect 50% of the world's population to the Internet by 2015 -- dubbed 50x15. Intel (INTC), the world's No.1 chipmaker, is also taking steps to spread its technology into developing nations through its so-called
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV